Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vegan Thai Red Curry

This recipe is originally based on green curry. But I prefer red curry, so I changed it up a bit. I also left out the tofu and doubled the quantity of vegetables instead (the original recipe had only 1-2 cups of veggies plus 300g tofu). I added some leftover shrimp I still had in the freezer (less than a cup) for a significant source of protein.

My favorite part about it are the flavors! Lemongrass plus galangal, kefir lime leaves, and coconut milk... equals bliss. You'll need:
1 tablespoon peanut oil 
1-2 teaspoons red curry paste
2-3 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
2-3 thin slices of galangal
4 kefir lime leaves 
3-4 cups chopped mixed vegetables (I used broccoli, bok choy, carrot, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms)
1 400 mL can of coconut milk
1 and 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 lime, quartered
I followed the directions exactly as they are presented here and the recipe turned out amazing. I'd like to also note that it was very much enjoyed even by my meat-loving partner. Here are some pics:
 

You can serve over rice noodles or rice. I did both :)

2 comments:

Monica said...

Noodles fan here: I tested this recipe today and it was DELICIOUS!. Thank you thank you thank you

Sabina said...

SO happy to hear that! <3