Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Black & White Chocolate Chip Cookies

For years I've been trying to gather all tips I could find on making the best chocolate chip cookies into my personal take on them... and I think I finally got it. But before I get to that... 

I've also started to learn more about what it takes to become vegan. I would like to become vegan soon, but I'm aware it can't happen overnight. So I'm trying to remove eggs and dairy from my baking as much as possible, while at the same time avoiding soy products. It is tricky!

So the other day I thought, what will I do about chocolate chip cookies if I'm vegan? Well, I haven't quite figured out what I'd do about butter... but I've learned that some chocolate chips are vegan if they are dark chocolate, egg can be replaced with applesauce or bananas, and regular milk can be replaced with coconut milk. 

Okay, okay, now on to the real stuff. 

Here's what you'll need, and please keep in mind that these quantities are my take on the classic recipe:

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (*you can also double this and omit the next ingredient if you like your cookies to puff)

1 teaspoon baking powder (*this isn't regularly included in the recipe, but I like my cookies extra fluffy)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk (*I used coconut milk and the cookies were super tasty!)
1 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract (*only about 1 1/2 teaspoons are used usually, but trust me, tripling the amount of vanilla can do wonders!)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips + 1 cup white chocolate chip cookies (clearly I'll leave these out when I'm vegan) + 1/2 cup chopped Macadamia nuts (*classic recipe has only the regular chocolate chips in it- 2 cups)

Hardware:
Ice cream scooper / Spoon
Parchment paper
Baking sheets
Mixer

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Let the mixture cool almost completely.  Meanwhile, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the white sugar sugar and blend together on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 9-14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Every time you put another batch in the oven, make sure the baking sheet is completely cooled off. When you take the cookies out of the oven, let them sit on the baking sheet for about a minute - they will continue to cook. Then use a spatula to place them on a cooling rack. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Please be careful with your plan to become a vegan. You could get seriously sick if you don't get all you vitamins from different sort of food. And from what i know you have a very hard work programme, so if you think now you're felling tired, imagine what it would be like if you stop eating all the food that gives you energy.

As for the recipe, it sounds delicious :)

Catherine said...

Try coconut oil as a substitute for butter. I've never done that in cookies, but I have in granola, and it's yummy!
You can also substitute applesauce for butter.
Good luck with becoming vegan - big change! :)